It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 am

Character Animation Master Class - Gobelins Paris 

Post Character Animation Master Class - Gobelins Paris

2 weeks (Full Time) Master Class - $1500 (After subsidy)
For Singaporeans and PR only.

Another effort we have put together to help artist upgrade their skill during this downturn.

Interested, please contact contact@cgprotege.com immediately. We have limited seats left. Limited to 30 students only.

Participants probably has some animation experience.

PROGRAM

Jean-Claude Tran as animation teacher for the first week of June 15 to Friday June 19.

Morning lecture and demonstration 9.30 AM to 1 PM with a 30 minute break at 11 AM.

Workshop (animation exercises with supervision by Jean-Claude) in the afternoon (at the workstations) 2 PM to 5.30 PM with a 30 minute break at 3.30 PM

However, on Thursday and Friday, for the workshop activities, the group will be divided into two. One group will remain in the workshop area with Jean-Claude, the other group will be in the next room with Robert Bennett.

Michelle Meeker will be the animation teacher the second week of June 22 to Friday June 26.

Morning lecture and demonstration 9.30 AM to 1 PM with a 30 minute break at 11 AM.

Workshop (animation exercises with supervision by Michelle) in the afternoon (at the workstations) 2 PM to 5.30 PM with a 30 minute break at 3.30 PM

However, on Monday and Tuesday, for the workshop activities, the group will be divided into two. One group will remain in the workshop area with Michelle, the other group will be in the next room with Robert Bennett.

BIOS of TRAINERS

Jean-Claude Tran – 2D and 3D Animator, formerly at Walt Disney Feature Animation in Paris, France and in Florida, USA, and currently at Pixar Animation Studios.

Graduating in 1993 from the animation program at GOBELINS, l’école de l’image in Paris, France, Jean-Claude Tran joined the Walt Disney Feature Animation studio in Paris, France, where he worked as a 2D animator on films such as “Tarzan” and “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”. During that time, he also taught 2D character animation at GOBELINS. He then went to the Florida studio of WDFA until it closed in 2003. Since 2004, he has been a 3D animator at Pixar on such films as “The Incredibles”, “Ratatouille”, “Wall-E” and “Up”.

Michelle Meeker – 3D Animator, Animation Mentor instructor, formerly Weta Digital; PDI/Dreamworks; Pixar Animation Studios

Graduating in 1996 from California Institute of the Arts, California, with a MFA in Character Animation, Michelle Meeker joined the crew at Pixar Animation Studios, USA, where she animated on “Geri’s Game” and “A Bug’s Life”; then moved on to PDI/Dreamworks, USA, as lead animator on “Shrek” and “Antz” and then on to Weta Digital in New Zealand to work on “Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” and “Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”. After returning to the US, Michelle did some freelance work for a while, before taking a job as Senior Animator/Lead Cinematics Animator at Stormfront Studios in San Rafael, and then in 2005 she became a full-time instructor on Animation Mentor; a position she still holds while teaching at various animation schools around the world including Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark, and GOBELINS, l’école de l’image in Paris, France.

Robert Bennett – mime artist and acting teacher

Robert Bennett first taught at GOBELINS, l’école de l’image in 1994, collaborating on an exercise of « Performance walk cycle ». Since then, he has worked around Europe and in the USA presenting a course in « Corporeal Acting » for different animation schools and studios, including Walt Disney Feature Film France, Warner Brothers Feature Film USA and A-Studio in Copenhagen. He has also given classes for Richard Williams’ Workshop. His master class focuses on acting for animators, using body language to express emotions and move the story forward.

ABOUT GOBELINS, l’école de l’image PARIS

France has long had experience in the art of animation, having played an instrumental role in its invention: Emile Reynaud (in 1892), Emile Cohl (in 1908) were important pioneers in animation filmmaking. France is today the third largest animation producer in the world and the European leader. French artists and studios create and develop full-length feature films, TV series, commercials, short art-house films, special effects, video games and other emerging forms of audiovisual expression. Continuing this legacy, the animation department of GOBELINS, l’école de l’image, a school of visual communication and design affiliated to the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry, has been for more than thirty years the privileged partner of animation artists and studios, even beyond the French borders, thanks to a learning program preparing young artists for all the professions involved in animation filmmaking. Today Gobelins graduates from the animation course are present in French studios throughout the country but also in major studios around the world, including DreamWorks, Sony, Disney, Pixar, Framestore, Electronic Arts and many more. Indeed, they are prized for their creative and technical excellence as well as their professional level.

Building on the strength of its long experience and its worldwide reputation, GOBELINS organises master classes around the world to enable students and professionals to gain a better understanding of what makes for successful character animation and compelling visual design.

More about GOBELINS
http://www.gobelins.fr/presentation-anim-gb.htm

Gobelins international summer school in Paris
http://www.gobelins.fr/summerschool

Their student work
http://www.gobelins.fr/galerie/animation/

Oktapodi – This student film was nominated for Best Animated Short 2009 at Academy Awards in Hollywood, USA.
http://www.oktapodi.com/

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Post Re: Character Animation Master Class - Gobelins Paris
I first learnt of GOBELINS recently and realised it is (damn damn DAMN) hard to get in (we have to be artistically n academically outstanding... thats the impression I had after viewing their entry requirements and tests). I figure out the next best thing is to attend their summer school. AND NOW they are here in SG?!

But I think I have to give it a pass, since I don't really have any background in animation yet.

Anyway, I'm really impressed with govt and CG Protege efforts in bringing such quality courses here to help us artists.

Kudos to you guys.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Post Re: Character Animation Master Class - Gobelins Paris
Yes. Gobelins is one of the world best animation school. And their students work is superb. When I first visited them in Paris, I was blown away. Its way better than many commercial works I have seen. That is why many of the Annecy films are from Gobelins. And this year, their student work were nominated for Oscars.

You are right. They don't anyhow take in students. And even the summer school is not cheap or easy to get in as we have to travel all the way to Paris.

We are very fortunate that they are willing to work with us. And I manage to get financial support to make this happen. This program is heavily subsidised. You shouldn't miss it. Many master class will cost you $500 for just a day class. We have also partially sponsored some outstanding artists with financial problem.

The training is going to be very useful with the strong lineup of experience to be shared - from Dreamworks to WETA to PIXAR to Animation Mentor etc Besides this, the training will also focus in strong acting. Which is very important to character animation.

We will continue our effort to bring in quality program. Hope it will help to boost the skillset of our talents to the next level during this downturn. So that we are better prepared when the economy picks up.

Thanks for the support.

By the way, we are left with 3 vacancies.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:43 pm