It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:31 am

STRAT programme is it good? 

Post STRAT programme is it good?
hi, i notice singapore STRAT programme have this programme for 3d /artist to work as attachment at other country for 2 years (goverment provide pay and allowence)http://www.sedb.com/edb/strat

if anybody have join this programme before or any info like to share, pls advise..many thanks!!

chris

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Post Re: STRAT programme is it good?
Hi

I have never been to one. But many of my friends and students who have attended has good reviews.

Its definitely a good exposure for students. Its like any other job attachment. The only difference is that it is in overseas. A lot still depends on yourself. You need to be proactive to ask questions, to research, to be thick skin to find out. Don't sit there and wait for others to spoon feed you. Then you will not learn. So how much one can gain really depends on yourself.

For those who are now going through the program. Or has been through the program. Might want to share more.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm currently undergoing the programme in japan, so I'm sharing from on my own personal experience. It's definitely a very good and enriching experience for me, and I have learnt many things here. As far as I know, the companies that are involved in STRAT programme are already very well established in the industry. They have been around for years, probably much longer then many companies here in Singapore. Since their industry is already quite mature, in comparison to ours which is still quite young, they would generally have a very good and solid pipeline and very professional working environment. And on top of that, you will most probably find yourself working with some of the most talented people from all around the globe.

About job wise, I'm doing exactly the same kind of job as every other animator on the same project in the company, subjected to the same expectation in terms of work performance. The only differences are that as a STRAT member, you're generally paid higher then the market rate there so you do not have to worry too much about not having enough money to survie there. And also, you have to submit a quarterly report on your work progress which will be accessed by your supervisor.

And of course, I'm sure you would have already known that STRAT programme comes with bonds. So after you finish your overseas stint, you would have to stay and work in Singapore, for the next 1 or 2 years depending on the terms of your contract.

It is quite a huge commitment, if you were to consider about the length of the bond, and that you would be faced with a whole lot of other issues such as getting used to a totally different work environment, culture and language barrier (depending which country you go), away from families, your love ones and friends, durians, laksa and chay kway teow, etc. If you were to work overseas directly, without going through the STRAT programme, you could always leave the company and head home anytime you want to. But once you are with the STRAT programme, then you do not have such liberty. So, do weigh the pros and cons, and see if your situation allows you to make such a commitment.

Hope it helps!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:44 pm

wow...very useful info..thanks!!!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:51 pm

You're welcome, Chris! There were some discussion about STRAT programme in an earlier thread which you may want to read up too: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=685&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=strat

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Thank you so much Ken.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 am

Hi doesn anyone know when is the next STRAT programme for Animation?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 pm
Site Admin

So far no news. Believe they need to find a suitable overseas company that has interest in expanding in Singapore. Or explore whether the training has any benefits to Singapore talents as a whole as it involves a lot of money.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 am