It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:46 am

Looking for job at local game industry 

Post Looking for job at local game industry
I've just graduated and am looking for a job in the local game industry. I specialize in modeling. My school says my portfolio is acceptable, and thus I've been looking actively for employment. But response has been slow or even unresponsive so far. So now I'm wondering if my stuff isn't good enough, or are Singapore companies really not hiring (Especially with the recent downturn).

I've emailed almost all game companies in Singapore ,(especially those that says to write in even if they are not hiring) So , should I still call and check?

Can any seniors here please advise me on the tips of getting a job within the game industry? I'm not just aiming for big names like Ubisoft, rather, I'm more keen on the handphone genre or MMORPG . Also, I'm looking overseas for opportunities as well, but is it very difficult for overseas companies to apply for a foreigner's work permit? How should I proceed if I want to work in say 1) Hong Kong 2) Taiwan 3) Canada?

I think what I lack now is an insight to how the game industry works and what kind of people they generally hire. Criticism to let me know where my portfolio stand is also welcome.

BTW, my reel can be found at http://www.mysimplestory.blog.com

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 am

Post Re: Looking for job at local game industry
Hi BigBear,

I would suggest not stopping at what you have for your portfolio. Do press on and continue to make more models to keep your portfolio fresh with updates.

Since you are looking to work in a game company, perhaps you could start off by looking for any jobs at one. It does not need to be related to character modeling. Do you have any other skills which you can contribute to the company? Do you have some knowledge in programming? Or how about working in the QA department as a game tester? Perhaps you could even start off working as a runner or at the admin department? When you have improved your craft and the company is keen on hiring you as a modeler, you may be recommended for a transfer.

Besides getting some initial experience in working, you will gain additional skills and knowledge in how a game company function. You may even get a better understanding of what goes into the production of a game while you are at your initial job. Moreover with a day job, you will not need to worry about income while working on your reel.

I, too was looking to work in a game production studio as an in-game animator. Even after I have graduated, I feel that my portfolio was simply satisfactory and I believe I need to constantly update it. None of the studios I had applied to replied to me either. So for almost everyday, I have been going back to CGProtege to work on my reel and getting pointers from my mentor.

After being jobless for a period, I decided to look for a job in a local game company. I had came across an advertisement for a game tester and had a go at it. I will be starting my job on the next Monday :-)

I hope you would stay encouraged in what you are pursuing. Do keep working on your reel, get help and have faith :-) Try searching around Google first for game production jobs in Singapore, you may see something that you may like.

Here is a website which I believe may interest you: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Kai

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:08 pm