It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:40 am

Advice on charging for freelance projects 

Post Advice on charging for freelance projects
Hi guys, I would like to seek your advice on how to charge for a freelance project that I'm about to undertake. What factors should I take into consideration? There are basically 92 scenes or so and 8 hero characters, couple of NPCs, and a couple of monsters. I would have to model/remodel some buildings, do a variety of textures while modifying the buildings to create variety. There would be three modellers working full-time on the project. The project would take approximately 2.5 months to complete.

Any input would be most appreciated!

Mon May 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Post Re: Advice on charging for freelance projects
I usually charge by per job basis, if the whole project can be completed within a week or two. But in your case, I suggest you calculate your charges by how much time you need to complete this.
Example 2.5mth*8 hours. If you are a beginner, than according to industry standard, the pay is 2k/mth. So 2.5mth * 2k for 8 hours of work per 5day/wk.
If you envision working OT during the latter part of the project, then you must add that in and decide how much is enough per hour. Especially weekends will most likely be burned.
If I think I will be working OT in the final 2 wk... i would use 2*2k. Then use .5*2k*1.5.

Of coz, ultimately you have to decide how much your work is worth per hour/day.

Mon May 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Hey Sketch, going by the mode of calculation you've suggested, would I then multiply it by 3 if there would be 3 people in my team?

Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

You should cover the whole cost. Factor in all cost that incurred. (Including transport, electrical bill if any etc) You should then marked up by 20 to 30% so that you can at least make a profit. And normally the last payment is hard to collect. So the 30% can be placed at the end. In case, you don't collect the final payment, you know that you still cover your cost at least.

Most clients here asked for 30 days payment upon delivery. Its dangerous as many almost never seen their money back. Try to get 30% down payment before you start work just to protect yourself.

When I first started out, we normally engaged overseas client. Local market is difficult. And its hard to collect the money.

Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 am

David is right, sorry that I missed this very important information, collect down payment even before job starts. As even in our 'official' advertising line, there are companies that owes money which we would probably never get back.

And yes, going by my logic, you should times that by 3 for 3 person. I don't think you need to mark up anything since counting by time used to do the project already includes it. Though David might be more experienced than me.

Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 am

Many thanks for the advice guys! It's insightful and much appreciated!

Tue May 10, 2011 12:32 pm