It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 What has happened to all the Singapore CG Artists? 

Post Re: What has happened to all the Singapore CG Artists?
Hi there. Just to share my experience. I'm both a poly grad (NYP) and a private sch grad (3dsense). I just wan to share about time and money spent on both schs.

To be blunt, both school nevertheless taught what they suppose to teach. But sch is just a stepping stone to the cg industry. They can only teach you so much. I would say base on my skillset now which is 100%, i only pick up 15% each on each school, so the 70% was what i learnt from industrial experiences. Even now, i'm still learning. It is a non stop process.

Anyone who is sad about wasted time or money on wrong school should just get over it and think on how to climb up the ladder instead. What is done is done. One should focus how to improve themselves. I always believe there is will there is a way.

Years back, i used to see David's forum fill up with artist's work hunger for feedbacks so they can improve on their model, animation n etc. But lately, i seen it reduced drastically. I think, to be spending time debating all this, why not spend time to do some work n post it here so you guys can improve ur work.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

hi,
hmmm...i wonder why many poly grads taking up not supposed to be another cg course at private cg school after spending a bomb and 3 years of productive young age at poly.3 years at poly and 2 years at national service.uwaaaa!! i feel like crying. 5 years of productive young age.lets get it straight.diploma means : YOU ARE READY TO JOIN THE INDUSTRY!! i don't want a string of diplomas tied to my neck like a necklace and face the employer.all you need is a good quality showreel.that's it.that is what employer is looking for.

they will never ask for your diploma or whatever toilet paper you are carrying.i feel sick man.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

titusphilip wrote:
lets get it straight.diploma means : YOU ARE READY TO JOIN THE INDUSTRY!!

hi titusphilip. That statement you just quoted which i really have to disagree with it. And i feel your thinking is rather naive. I would not say after diploma everyone is ready to join the industry. DO YOU THINK DOM GOT INTO BLIZZARD WHEN HE GRADUATED? (Sorry DOM let me quote you as an eg. Which i consider Him as 1 of the SG CG legend). I'm pretty sure he worked his way real hard before he reach his goal. Dom was working nothing related to games when he graduated.

It is through years of industrial experiences, constant upgrading one's skill set and contacts he accumulated over the years before he got into blizzard. Those things school don't teach and school cannot give you either. School just teach u how to write. It is YOU yourself have to write the WORDS nicely.

As u had mention, no 1 want a string of diplomas on their neck when they go interview. For me, after i graduated from NYP or 3dsense, i never bring any paper with me just my demo and resume and that's all. I don't even know where i threw all those certs and i don't give a damn. I got my current job through words of mouth. Not even an interview is needed. Again, connection is something school can't teach you.

So u know what employer want is a good quality showreel. But u know your school had failed to teach u to do a good quality show reel. So what are you going do now?? Keep getting upset and scolding the school is bullshit or use all this time, researching on KICKASS demoreel and try to do create your own KICKASS Demoreel?? There is always a Chinese saying, "Beg people to help yourself, why not beg yourself instead." Well the choice is yours.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 pm

hi dias,
sorry for those harsh words and thanks for your advice. :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Dias wrote:
titusphilip wrote:
lets get it straight.diploma means : YOU ARE READY TO JOIN THE INDUSTRY!!

hi titusphilip. That statement you just quoted which i really have to disagree with it. And i feel your thinking is rather naive. I would not say after diploma everyone is ready to join the industry. DO YOU THINK DOM GOT INTO BLIZZARD WHEN HE GRADUATED? (Sorry DOM let me quote you as an eg. Which i consider Him as 1 of the SG CG legend). I'm pretty sure he worked his way real hard before he reach his goal. Dom was working nothing related to games when he graduated.

@ Dias

I agree with your last sentence even though it is very harsh. But lets not forget that Singapore has a "follower" cultural or herd mentality as so to speak. So it is quite unsympathetic to say that we innocent CG artists have ourselves to blame when we get conned or fooled by the local polys for believing that our diplomas are enough to get us in this industry.

I have learnt to accept this fact. But we should not be afraid to unveal the truth about them to the public eventually. I have been telling interns or my juniors about the HARD TRUTHS.

Rather than duking it out here, I suggest we begin a secret campaign to spread not lies but truths to the ignorant public. Those with the passion will join us in our ranks, those who just there becos Animation is cool, the truth will set them free.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 am

ttyo888 wrote:
So it is quite unsympathetic to say that we innocent CG artists have ourselves to blame when we get conned or fooled by the local polys for believing that our diplomas are enough to get us in this industry.

Did any lecturers in the poly specifically tell you that your diploma alone, without your reel, is enough to get you in this industry? If not, then I think saying that local polys con or fool you is a serious accusation to make, and you better have some evidence to substantiate your claims. And if some poly lecturers really con or fooled you, then I think the proper thing to do is to lodge a complaint to the poly or MOE directly to seek redress and not by ranting it here.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 am

Sorry if my comment were pretty harsh on the previous post. But if we are talking about the HARD TRUTH, it is a real fact. Nothing is pleasant if we are talking about the hard truth.

ttyo888 wrote:
So it is quite unsympathetic to say that we innocent CG artists have ourselves to blame when we get conned or fooled by the local polys for believing that our diplomas are enough to get us in this industry.

These problems are not just happening in sg. It happened in overseas as well. If u take ur time to search cgtalk.com under the school and courses section, you will find those problems happened in US and Europe as well. These schools always uses fancy words and visual to get students into their course. They operate more like a business than a school.

My point is get it over and move on to improve oneself. That what makes u different from the rest. Many ppl will just give up and switch career. It is a setback. But if you are able to overcome it, that's make you a better person.(Artist).

Many great artist i knew produce great Demoreel base on their self perseverance. Some is even self taught. (Alvin Yap Houdini user) They never depend on school. They only depend on themselves. One of the hard truth of cg industry is never depend on school. And always believe in yourself. School only do what they suppose to do. The rest is up to you.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:54 am

kentheman wrote:
Did any lecturers in the poly specifically tell you that your diploma alone, without your reel, is enough to get you in this industry?

I have to tell you truthfully, yes. The lecturers made us think in that way. But Demo reel wise, they never advised us. They just tell us to put everything in. I am the type who will ask lecturer one.

However like Dias said, we all have moved on since then. What is past is past. I think like in previous pages. We should hold some seminars if possible to educate the public on what is our industry like. It is not fun and games as all of us agree.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am

Just to apologize to anyone here lah, if my words have been offensive. I believe many graduates from Poly DMD.etc would feel the same too.

Regarding CG artists, I wonder if a factor was the cause of the problem. Singaporean CG artists except of most of us here do not feel proud of their work, mainly becos its not a local production?

I remember saying about mixed feelings that me. A mix of happy and sad when I knew that Iron Man 2 had scenes done by Singaporeans.

So what if Rango as what Lucasfilm said had Singaporean on board the crew? We are not being recognized by the public. Many of my friends did not even know that Rango had been animated by Singaporeans until I told them so.

http://tnp.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,272954,00.html

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:30 pm

hi ttyo888,
dias is right.what happened is already happened.we must learn from the past and live in the present and plan for the future.we are human beings.we make mistake all the time right because we don't know which is right and which is wrong until we experienced it.cheer up man!! :D :D :D

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next